Friday, August 22, 2008

Will it ever stop?

Well, I was really trying to avoid complaining because 6 months ago everything was so great--it seemed like everything was going our way. So I figured the challenges we've been having were just the reciprocal of that (karma, you could say). But I'm really getting tired of it--one thing after another! If you don't want to hear a lot of complaining, then stop reading now.

First was the discovery of our kitchen wall that really should have fallen down by now because of all the rot, going hand-in-hand with the need for new foundation walls--the cost of repair more than doubling the original planned cost of our kitchen remodel! But it has to be done so that it doesn't collapse later!

Next, things started breaking. Our electric lawn mower was working just fine when Jason had to stop mid-mow to stop Gavin from running out into the road and when he came back to it, it wouldn't start again. We took it into be repaired and they couldn't find anything out about the model, let alone find parts! Then our washing machine, which had previously been diagnosed as not worth fixing (the parts costing almost as much as a new machine), finally gave out. It was only three years old when it started having problems, and has lasted almost a year since it's diagnosis--but was I mistaken in thinking that a nice, new Maytag washer should last more than 4 years?! The last 9 months with it leaking and sounding like an airplane take-off! We have already bought the new washer and dryer, but don't want to put it into a room that is supposed to be torn down some time "soon." So now we have no kitchen or laundry room.

Then, the van (our only vehicle) has had $1500 worth of repairs over the last 3 months--and now it's having the same problem again! According to other people (on the internet) with the same car, the problem is basically unfixable because they have tried all sorts of things and the problem always comes back again. Argh! (Anyone has a reliable mini-van they want taken off their hands?) Soon thereafter, Emma accidentally broke the portable DVD player that makes drives to Nana's bearable. And as I mentioned in our last post, the camera seems to have corrupted the card--we are sincerely hoping that it's not going to be a constant problem!

Doesn't that sound like plenty for one family?! Especially one that has to pay for the coming of a new baby in a month? Well, just to top it all off, my bike was stolen last night! It's been Jason's main form of transportation to work because his bike desperately needs a tune-up and flat repair. Jason has been leaving it on our front porch because that's the only entrance into the house now that the back door leads into the construction. I know that it's our own fault for our stupid naivity thinking that it"wouldn't happen to us," but come on!

Well, I am knocking on wood that we're done having these kinds of problems, but it helps just to write them down. So thanks for your patience, I'm done ranting now! Hope you have a nice day!

5 comments:

Mama Ash Grove said...

Oh guys, I'm sorry for all you are going through!
Big (((HUGS))) from us over here in North Hero. We love you guys, hang in there. Thank goodness such a blessing is coming your way in a few weeks (the baby).

Anonymous said...

If these things all happened to me, I'd be seeking deeper thearopy (sp?) than just venting on my blog! The renovations jsut before the birth would be enough for me, but then to have both modes of transportation stolen or broken and the washer and dryer issue! And then all those little things! This might sound sketchy to you, but maybe the stress you feel from the renovation and baby coming has finally reached your appliances and house hold items?

CommonMama said...

Oh Becky I am about ready to cry for you. I am so sorry that you have had all these bad things happen to you. May you luck soon change!!!Rant all you want, it is good to get it off your chest! You need to call Extreme Makeover Home Addition, I bet they could set things right again!

Mummy. said...

I am really sorry that you guys are having all these set backs. You must be soooo frustrated. I wish I could help with something. Thank you so much for the wonderful visit. You gave me such happy memories. Emma and Gavin are wonderful children. You guys work hard to have a happy family, and it is paying off. I love you.

Christine Mains said...

Hang in there. When it rains it poors, at least that is how it seems to happen to us. If it makes you feel any better, I had 3 kids including new born twins and some how kept them all clothed without a washer and dryer for a little over a year.
I know what you mean about cars, Both of our cars our costing way more in repairs over the last 2 months than we paid for them initially.
If you need to vent anymore please fee free to call, I love you lots and miss you. I wish I could come over and help in anyway... bring you dinner, help you find your stolen bike, watch your kids so you could nap...
love ya lots