Yesterday, Gavin's preschool had a Christmas program and, a week before that, Emma was in the primary program at the ward Christmas party. Both were darling, as every parent would say about their children dressed up to be ridiculously cute and trying (or not) to sing fun Christmas carols. But the remarkable thing about these two occasions involve Gavin's reaction to the events. And I, the ever dutiful mother, of course forgot the camera both times!
The first evening was "one of those days". We had been working hard on the house that evening, trying to get some flooring in. Emma had to be there early to practice so I rushed her off and came back. Jason and I got ready as fast as we could, but still managed to be there 5 minutes late. Emma came up crying because she couldn't find us and was getting scared. Jason had received a call just minutes before asking him to sing something for the Elders' Quorum portion of the program so he disappeared quickly to go practice. We finally found seats (they didn't have enough tables set up) and went to stand in line for the food. I was trying to hold Josiah and keep Gavin from running off, which was quite the task. I then noticed that Gavin's pants were wet--we haven't potty trained him yet, but he sometimes wets through his diaper. I found a friendly neighbor that was willing to hold Josiah and ran off to grab the diaper bag and take Gavin to the bathroom. I tore off the leaking diaper, only to discover that there were no diapers Gavin's size in the bag. So I put his pants back on, hoping he could last until I could run out to the car--only to discover there weren't any in the car either. So I found Jason and made him run home while I went to rescue my poor neighbor from my kids. She stayed to help the kids with their plates as we went through the food line, when Gavin discovered the hazards of not wearing a diaper. I ran off to take him to the bathroom while the neighbor took the other two kids to sit and start eating. Jason arrived shortly thereafter with the necessary diaper, but now Gavin had no pants, socks, or shoes. Jason went and sat with the kids while I ran home this time to get him some clean clothes. I eventually got to sit down to eat something and by that time Gavin and Emma were done eating and ran off to play with some friends. Shortly thereafter the primary program started. Gavin is still in nursery and thus not in the program, so I started wondering where he'd run off to. The kids were doing a fun song with actions so I looked closer, and surprisingly, up there on stage along with Emma was Gavin, doing the actions right along the rest of the kids! He sat through the rest of the singing, looking cute and trying his best to participate. When it ended, he came off stage so excited that he got to participate. It was a fun end to a CRAZY evening (and Jason never ended up .
On the other hand, there was the program yesterday. The preschool kids all came in dressed like reindeer doing a cute little dance to the tune of the hokey-pokey. Gavin looked bewildered, but so did most of the rest of the 3 and 4-year-olds. He wouldn't dance, or even move, let alone try to follow the actions. When they were done, the kids sat down and they had a magician perform. The kids were all enthralled. It was then time for them to participate. They tried to get Gavin to come up and he refused. He ran to us, so we tried to go up with him and he started screaming. I took him out in the hall and he continued screaming every time I tried to go back in the room. It took a full 5 minutes before he would come back in and sit with us in the audience. He spent the rest of the time with us watching his friends perform the fun songs that they had been practicing everyday for a week. He was excited to go up to Santa to get a present, but otherwise he didn't want to leave our side.
If anyone can explain to me the fickle and unpredictable behavior of a three-year-old (especially this one) where one week he wants to be the star of the show in front of hundreds of people and the next he won't do anything but cry and scream at the prospect performing in front of a couple dozen, I'd love some advice!!!
6 comments:
This sounds so hectic, Becky but all I can do is laugh. You used the word "run" or "ran" about a billion times, and I think it really summed up the feel of this whole thing!
I can't explain the fickle behavior of a 3 year old, except that if I was surrounded by people in strange costumes dancing around to music I'd be concerned too. haha
I can imagine you standing in line holding Josiah and trying to keep hold of Gavin at once. The picture of the classic mama of teeny wee ones. And I've been there before too, and very hot and sweaty and frustrated to boot!
What does music sound like to Gavin with his implant? This got me wondering.
I am impressed with Gavin and how far he's come. And with you guys too.
Wish we could see you for the holidays.
I am glad he had his pants on when he went up and performed with Emma.
SO AM I! I realized that later--we had considered not going home again to get the pants, but I am so glad I did!
As for how Gavin hears music--there's no real way to know exactly, but do we really know for sure how other people hear music? Adults that have been implanted later after losing their hearing have said that it sounds almost normal--maybe with a little bit of a mechanical twang to it. But I don't know that I would ever plan on him being much of a singer!
Well, singing isnt everything. Trust me, I know!
What a crazy day! I told keith about it, and I think we both hope it never happens to us. (yea, we'll see, right?)
Maybe he felt confident with his sister beside him the first time? And nervous to be alone the seceond? Poor little guy. I forget how young he is, because he has a very mature face, to me.
I love your story Becky, I think it rings true with my life in so many ways. As I read, I could almost predict what the next step was. I swear we're connected... as for different reactions...I wonder if church is a place he feels completely safe and comfortable and as such he was relaxed enough to participate. That isn't to say that he isn't comfortable at school, but at school I bet they are constantly pushing him to learn and achieve (as they rightly should)But sometimes learning and change can be scary...That is my deep answer. Really it was probably just that his pants waist was pinching him or something like that
My great hubby took my kids to that Christmas party without me ... and Leo freaked out (according to hubby, I'm never sure exactly what that means). Why? Because Gavin was up on stage and he wanted to be too!
Leo has been begging me for soccer lessons, so I signed him up, and after the first five minutes, he started crying and clinging to me and wouldn't go back on the floor. I guess it is the age.
Post a Comment