Monday, February 4, 2008

Prophet, Seer, and Revelator--President Thomas S. Monson


After the rather unexpected news of President Hinckley's death last week, the latest news from the church's website is concerning the new prophet.

Thomas S. Monson is the new president of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, it was announced today at a news conference in the Church Office Building. President Monson, 80, succeeds President Gordon B. Hinckley, who died 27 January.

The new world leader of the Church has called to serve with him in the First Presidency, the top governing body of the 13-million-member faith, President Henry B. Eyring, 74, first counselor, and President Dieter F. Uchtdorf, 67, second counselor.

President Boyd K. Packer, 83, is the new president of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles. The vacancy in the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles will be filled later.


I think it's so exciting to get a new prophet and he's obviously chosen his counselor's well. I'm have to admit that I was surprised by their ages--they all seem so much younger than their chronological ages. I think it will be really interesting to see what the focus of this new presidency will be.
I want to take the time to express my love and appreciation for Pres. Hinckley. I will always consider him "my Prophet" because he served during most of my teenage and young adult years. I have made the most important decisions of my life under his term of service and he greatly influenced my own testimony. He was an amazing man who will be impossible to replace. But I'm certain that he's happier where he is now. Isn't it amazing the difference in perspective one has with the knowledge of the plan of salvation?

No comments: