Wednesday, February 20, 2008

The Magnificent Transformation

So, after a lot of work and determination--we have finally made a significant transformation in our living room! The first picture here is of Jason removing the old wood flooring (that we are guessing is circa 1920) on Monday morning, and the second is of the room Monday night with the new floor mostly in and the walls painted. We were motivated first with the idea that Monday was a holiday so we had no work (ha ha, this was a lot more WORK than I do ever at my job) and, second, on Tuesday our new cupboards for our kitchen were coming and we wanted to have some where to put them. The kudos really go to Jason because he took out 95% of the floor himself, while I had to chisel out the floor boards that went under the built-in bookshelf; and he painted all of the walls, while I just did the cutting in; but he doesn't get the full credit for the new floor because I did most of the kneeling, placing, squatting, standing, kneeling, crawling, standing, etc--and trust me, my body's complaining about it! (Though he was a great help and the next morning did a lot more of the floor while I was gone.) Probably the only major problem that we ran into was the subflooring under the wood we removed--we think it’s the original 1890s floor and it had a hundred years of dirt and dust built up on it, as thick as a quarter inch in places, which we couldn't vacuum because of the nails in the floor. So we swept and now have a small layer of 100 year old dirt all over our house! I am too tired and sore to clean it now (I wasn't slightly sick before this weekend that has turned into a really nasty cold) so it'll have to wait till the weekend when we'll do a thorough cleaning of the entire house. It will be so nice because with this remodeling our house hasn't felt very clean in months!

4 comments:

CommonMama said...

oooohhhh, it looks nice. We still need to paint here. This summer is our painting summer. You guys are great at transforming houses!!! Was the original flooring un-savable?

Ginny said...

looks like fun, although I am not jealous AT ALL!!! It will all be SO nice when it is done!

roamingjones said...

It looks great guys! I can't wait to get started on our own projects.

Becky said...

Yes, the floor was unsalvagable. We had some professional floor guys come and there was no saving it--it had been sanded down to the point that the grooves were breaking and showing the tongues!