Friday, September 5, 2008

School Starts

Gavin's preschool started on Aug. 20th. This is his friend and classmate, Braxton. He lost his hearing from meningitis, and has a double implant (in both ears). He's a couple months older than Gavin and has been implanted for a year longer. They play together well and are both learning a lot this year. Gavin loves going to school! He goes from 8:30 to noon everyday, and we have already seen (heard) a lot of progress in his speech and articulation.
Emma started Kindergarten on the 25th. She goes from 12:30 to 3pm (so I get to drive up to the University 3 times a day). She had a hard time at first because they didn't play as much as she wants--they spend most of the time "learning" all the stuff she already knows. But she seems to have gotten over that and is doing her best to learn new stuff anyway. She's told us about new words that she learns--one or two a day, and friends she's meeting. I have to admit that I'm having a hard time wanting to take her all the way up there every day for this--but we're willing to give it a full trial period. Supposedly, the school is still willing to consider her moving up to first grade, but the Kindergarten teacher seems to think it's a long shot. We'll see!
I have been surprised at how I enjoy having the kids gone at seperate times of day because then I get one on one time with each of them. I'm also very glad that they are enjoying themselves!

2 comments:

Mummy. said...

Oh Emma! She looks so grown up.

Mummy. said...

Gavin looks like he is having a great time. How wonderful for him to be with othe rhearing impaired chidlrne and they can learn from each other. Many of them will end up being life long friends.